All Recipes >Italian Pot Roast
Italian Pot Roast Recipe
You're Watching Episode: 95
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Subscribe to Laura's YouTube Channel (It's FREE!) to stay updated on new recipes! Want to leave a comment for this recipe? You can leave comments on this recipe's YouTube page! (I love reading your comments :)
Serves 6 to 8
1 4 lb Boneless Chuck Roast
3 Large or 5 small Carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
3 Stalks Celery, diced
1 Large Onion, diced
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
½ oz Dry Porcini Mushrooms
2 Sprigs of Rosemary
4 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
2 cups of Chianti Red Wine
1 15 oz can of Chopped Tomatoes
¼ cup of All Purpose Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 cup of Frozen Pearl Onions, thawed
1) Season the beef well with salt and pepper all over. Sprinkle over the flour and rub it all over.
2) Bring 1½ cups of water just up to a boil and add in a small bowl along with the porcini mushrooms and let them re-hydrate.
3) Preheat a large pot over high heat with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, add the beef and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining tbsp of olive oil and add in the carrots, onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and let them cook for about 5 to 6 minutes.
4) Add the beef back in along with the wine, tomatoes, the fresh herbs and porcini mushrooms along with the soaking liquid making sure to avoid the last few tablespoons because there will be some grit at the bottom of the bowl.
5) Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover and let cook for 2 and half hours flipping the meat half way through.
6) After 2 and half hours, add the pearl onions and season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat back up to medium high and cook uncovered for 30 more minutes flipping the meat over half way through.
7) Simply slice and serve over some roasted garlic mashed potatoes and spoon over the delicious thick sauce. Enjoy!