Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 557
Watch these next:
|Makes a few dozen|
|Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hrs 20 mins
3 cups of Flour
1 Ĺ cup of Sugar
1 tsp of Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp of Vanilla
1/2 tsp of Salt
1 1/2 cup of Whole Almonds
2/3 of a cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
1/4 tsp of Almond Extract
1) Position oven racks in the middle and top of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2) On a separate baking sheet, add the almonds and make sure to spread them in one single layer, toast them in the oven for about 10 minutes or until they have toasted up a bit and they are a lovely golden brown color, allow them to cool a bit and chop them roughly.
3) In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt and baking powder to combine, set aside.
4) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter, add the eggs, almond extract and make sure itís a nice creamy mixture once everything is incorporated.
5) Add the dry ingredients and mix until it's well incorporated. Add the whole toasted almonds and mix them in well.
6) Dump the dough onto a heavily floured board and divide into 3 equal portions. Roll each piece into a log thatís about 10 inches long and 2 inches wide, make sure to dust with flour along the way to keep dough from sticking. Set the logs about 4 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet, press gently to flatten each log just a little with the tips of your fingers. Bake until the logs are golden and firm near the center, about 35 to 40 minutes or until they are lightly golden but still soft making sure you are rotating the baking sheets half way through to insure even baking.
7) Let the logs cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Transfer logs to a cutting board, using a serrated knife, slice them on a sharp diagonal into about 3/4 inch thick slices. Arrange the slices on the baking sheets, laying cut side down. Return to oven and bake for 7 minutes. Turn the cookies over and rotate the baking sheets and bake for another 7 minutes or until golden and lightly browned.
8) Let cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. (The cookies will not harden until totally cooled) Enjoy!