Cook time20 minutes
- 8 Large Croissants, cut in half horizontally
- 1 cup of Ground Almonds
- 1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp of Vanilla Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 1/2 of a Lemon
- 8 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
- Sliced Almonds
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
- Confectioners Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
1) To make the filling: In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, add the egg, vanilla and lemon zest and using a handheld electric whisk, whisk for a few minutes or until the mixture becomes thick and takes on a consistency similar to a mousse.
2) Add the ground almonds and flour and mix until you have a creamy mixture.
3) Spread a bit of the filling on the bottom cut side of the croissant, put the top on, spread a little more on top, sprinkle with some almonds and place on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Continue with the remaining croissants, then bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
4) Sprinkle over some confectioners sugar and dig in!