Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 835
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Makes a few dozenPrep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
For the dough:
3 cups of All Purpose flour
1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
1/4 tsp of Salt
3/4 cup of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
1 cup of Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
For the filling:
3/4 cup of Apple Sauce
1/2 tsp of Orange Zest
1/2 tsp of Cinnamon
1) In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, add the eggs and vanilla and continue to whisk for about 1 minute.
2) Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix it all in until its all combined. Divide the dough in half, form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for about an hour.
3) Take the dough out of the fridge and allow it to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the applesauce, cinnamon and orange, set aside.
4) Roll out one of the disks on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick, about 10 inch circle, smear the applesauce evenly over the top (you might not need it all), roll the other disk, cut strips out of the dough and place them over top of the disk of cookie dough. Arrange the pattern however you like and using a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter (about 3”) cut out little rounds and place them on a baking sheet.
5) Regroup all the leftover dough (totally okay if some of the applesauce is in the dough) wrap in plastic wrap, pop it in the fridge for about half an hour and repeat the process. Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges and allow them to cool completely.