Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 74
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Get Social With Laura!
Double layer pie crust (same crust as the pumpkin pie crust, just make sure to double the amount because you will need 2 pieces)
6 golden delicious apples, cored ,sliced and tossed in 1 tbsp of lemon juice
ĺ Cup of Sugar
2 Tbsp of Flour
1 tsp of Cinnamon
ľ tsp of Salt
ľ tsp of Nutmeg
Zest of 1 Medium Orange
Egg Wash, (1 egg mixed with 2 Tbsp of water)
1) Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2) Spray a 9Ē glass pie plate with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
3) In the same large bowl that your lemon tossed apples are in, toss in all of the remaining ingredients. Toss everything very well to coat each piece of apple with the spices and orange zest. Set aside wile you roll out the pie crust.
4) Lightly flour your counter and roll out 1 of the pie crusts. Make sure that there is 1 inch overhanging the sides of the pie plate.
5) Put the apple mixture into the pie plate lined with the crust. Using the egg wash brush it all over the boarder and set aside wile you roll out the second pie crust.
6) Roll out the second pie crust, and top the apples. Pinch together the 2 crust and cut off any access pastry, leaving only 1 inch overhanging. Fold the pinched crust under and crimp all of the boarder.
7) Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with about 1 tbsp of sugar and about 1 tsp of cinnamon all over the crust.
8) Place the pie on a aluminum foiled lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. If the edges start turning to brown to quickly cover them with aluminum foil.
9) Let stand for about 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Apple pie is one of those things that just scream home to me. This recipe is so fool proof anybody can make it.
I use the same pie crust recipe that I use for my pumpkin pie, simply because thatís my go to pie crust. It never fails. Just make sure you double the amount of ingredients because you are making a deep dish apple pie so naturally you need 2 pieces of pastry. Whenever I make pie crust I make 3 or 4 batches and then individually wrap them and freeze them. This way whenever I need it itís ready to be thawed out overnight in the fridge and ready to use. And I donít know about you but having homemade pie crust in the freezer at all times, definitely makes me happy!
I am a huge apple pie lover and I have so many different variations of it, but this is a classic and you really cant go wrong with a classic now can you?!
Make this pie one time and I guarantee you will never buy one from a store again!