Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 523
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 6 to 8Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 2 hrs
1 lb of Beef Cubes, I used chuck
1 Large Carrot, diced
1 Onion, chopped
2 Stalks of Celery, diced
5oz of Button Mushrooms, sliced
½ cup of Pear Barley, rinsed
8 cups of Chicken Stock
1 Sprig of Rosemary, minced
2 Sprigs of Thyme, minced
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
½ cup of all Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp of Fresh Chopped Parsley
¾ cup of Frozen Peas
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) In a large deep pot, preheat the oil over medium high heat. While that’s happening, toss the beef with the flour and a little salt and pepper, shake off excess flour and add the beef in one layer in the hot pot.
2) Allow the beef to cook and develop some color, this should take about 4 to 5 minutes so its colored on all sides, remove the beef with a slotted spoon onto a plate and set aside.
3) In the same pot, add the chopped onion, carrot and celery, season with a little salt and pepper and cook the veggies until they have cooked down a bit, this should take about 5 minutes.
4) Add the beef back in the pot, along with the stock and bring to a boil. Add the herbs, partially cover the pot with a lid, turn the heat down to medium low and allow the soup to cook for 1 hour.
5) After one hour, remove the lid and add the rinsed barley and sliced mushrooms, cook the mixture for another 45 minutes or until the beef is very tender and the barley is cooked.
6) Add the parsley and peas and taste the soup to adjust seasoning if necessary.
7) Serve right away!