Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 735
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 6Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 hrs
3 lb of Chuck cut into large chunks
6 Slices of Thick Cut Bacon, chopped
1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
3 Carrots, cut into large chunks
6 Cloves of Garlic, peeled but not chopped
2 cups of Burgandy or Pinot Noir
2 cup of Beef Broth
1/4 cup of Brandy or Cognac
2 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
2 tsp of Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 lb of Fresh Mixed Mushrooms, roughly chopped, not too thin
2 cups of Frozen Pearl Onions, thawed
1/2 cup of All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
2 Tbsp of Butter
1 Tbsp of Oil
1/4 cup of Fresh Chopped Parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) In a large dutch oven preheated over medium high heat, add the bacon and cook until crisp, remove with a slotted spoon.
2) Add 1 Tbsp of the olive oil to the bacon drippings and add the beef, cooking it for a few minutes or until golden brown on pretty much all sides, remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
3) If your pan is very dry, add 1 more Tbsp of olive oil and saute the onions, garlic and carrots for a few minutes or until they develop some color.
4) Add the brandy and allow it to cook out for about a minute, stir in the tomato paste and allow that to cook for about 30 seconds while stirring the whole time.
5) Add the beef back in along with the wine, beef broth, cooked bacon and thyme. Cover with a lid, turn the heat down to low and let it cook for about 2 hours or until the beef is tender.
6) Right before the beef mixture is done, saute the mushrooms.
7) In a skillet, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and the 1 Tbsp of butter, let it melt over medium high heat, add the mushrooms and saute them for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown all over, season slightly with salt and pepper to taste and fresh chopped parsley, set aside.
8) Remove the lid from the pan, add the cooked mushrooms and pearl onions, turn the heat up to high and let everything bubble together for a few minutes or until thickened. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve!