Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 737
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Makes 12Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
For the cupcakes:
2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
2 tsp of Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1-1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Whole Milk
1 Tbsp of Vanilla Paste or Extract
For the Filling:
3/4 cups of Whole Milk
1-1/2 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp of Vanilla Paste or 1 Envelope of Vanillina
Small Pinch of Salt
For the ganache:
4 ounces of Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1/3 cup of Heavy Cream
1 tsp of Butter, softened at room temperature
1/8 tsp of Salt
To make the filling:
1) Add all your custard ingredients in a large saucepan and with the heat turned off, whisk them all together to combine.
2) Place your custard over medium heat and cook it, stirring the whole time until the custard thickens. Strain it through a fine sieve into a bowl, cover the custard with plastic wrap (make sure the plastic wrap is touching the custard) and pop it in the fridge completely.
To make the cupcakes:
3) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, spray a nonstick muffin pan well with nonstick spray and set aside.
4) In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
5) In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the vanilla and eggs and cream together until you get a smooth mixture. Add the dry ingredients and with the speed on low, mix together slowly adding the milk and mix everything to combine. DO NOT OVERMIX! Make sure you give everything a good stir with a spatula from the bottom to incorporate any bit that wasn't mixed.
6) Scoop the batter into your lined cupcake tin, make sure it's only filled 3/4 of the way up because they will rise. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes and let cool completely before filling.
To make the Ganache:
7) Heat the cream in a small pan over medium heat until just below boiling point.
8) Pour cream over chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute. Add the softened butter and whisk the whole thing together until the chocolate has fully melted. Let it sit for a few minutes before frosting the cupcakes
9) When everything is ready to be assembled, cut each cupcake horizontally (remove the paper if you used liners), spread about 1 Tbsp of the custard on one side, top with the top of the cupcake and spoon over a touch of ganache.