Cook time3 hours 0 minutes
ServingsServes: Either 4 or 8 depending on how big your portions are.
- 8 Shortribs
- 1 Large Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Large Carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 Stalks of Celery, diced
- 8 Cloves of Garlic, smashed and peleed
- 2 1/2 cups of Red Wine
- 4 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 2 ½ cups of Beef Broth
- 2 Sprigs of Rosemary
- About ½ cup of All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup of Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a dutch oven, add your vegetable oil and preheat it over medium high heat. Season both sides of the short ribs with some salt and pepper, dredge each short rib in the flour and shake off the excess. Place them in the hot pot and cook them for a few minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy (do them in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pot).
3) In the same pot, add the carrots, onions, celery and garlic, season with a little salt and pepper and saute until the veggies cook down.
4) Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring it in the veggies for about a minute, deglaze the pot with the red wine and allow it to cook and reduce for about 1 minute.
5) Add the rosemary and beef stock and put the short ribs back in submerging them in the stock. Cover the pot with a lid and pop it in the oven for about 3 hours making sure to check on it periodically to make sure your liquid isn't reducing too much.
6) Take the short ribs out of the pot, skim off as much of the fat as possible, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over polenta.