Cook time12 minutes
ServingsMakes a couple dozen, depending on size
- 3 cups of All Purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 3/4 cup of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 tsp of Peppermint Extract
- Red Food Coloring
1) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar, add the eggs and vanilla, peppermint extract and continue to mix for about 1 minute.
2) Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix it all in until it's combined. Divide the dough in half and to one half, add some red food coloring (add enough to get the color you’re looking for) then wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for about an hour.
3) Take the dough out of the fridge and allow it to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
4) Take a about a 2 inch piece of dough from each disk (one red piece and one white) and form into a 6 inch rope, lay them side by side, pinching both ends and twist them lightly.
5) Place them on your baking sheet making sure to curve the tops so they look like candy canes. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges and allow them to cool completely.