Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 700
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Makes 12 CupcakesPrep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
2 tsp of Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1-1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Whole Milk
Zest of one Orange
Juice of 1/2 of an Orange
Vanillina or 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
For the cannoli cream:
1 cup of Whole Milk Ricotta
2/3 cup of Confectioner Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla Paste
2 tsp of Cocoa Powder
3 Tbsp of Candied Orange Zest, optional
1-1/4 cup of Heavy Cream
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
3 Tbsp of Confectioner Sugar
1) Line a sieve with some paper towels or cheesecloth and place the ricotta in it. Place the sieve over a bowl, cover it with some paper towels and pop it in the fridge overnight.
2) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake tin with liners and set aside.
3) In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt, vanillina and baking powder, set aside.
4) In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the orange zest, juice and eggs and cream together until you get a smooth mixture. Add the dry ingredients and with the speed on low mix together, slowly adding the milk and mix everything to combine. DO NOT OVERMIX! Make sure you give everything a good stir with a spatula from the bottom to incorporate any bit that wasn't mixed.
5) Scoop the batter into your lined cupcake tin, make sure it's only filled 3/4 of the way up because they will rise. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes and let cool for about 45 minutes before frosting.
6) To make the filling, mix together the drained ricotta, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla paste and candied orange.
7) Make the whipped topping by whisking together the cream, vanilla and powdered sugar until stiff peeks form.
8) When ready, scoop a little of the cupcake from the center of each one, fill with the filling and pipe the whipped topping on top of the whole thing.