Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 84
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
For the caramel
¼ cup of Unsalted Butter
2/3 cup of Brown Sugar
For the cake batter
2 large Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 1/3 cup of All Purpose Flour
1 tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp of Baking Powder
¼ tsp of Salt
1/8 tsp of Fresh Grated Nutmeg
½ tsp of Fresh Grated Orange Zest
½ Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
½ tsp of Vanilla Extract
½ cup of Whole Milk
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1) Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8 by 8 square pan with non stick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2) In a small bowl toss the apple slices with the lemon juice and set aside.
3) In a small saucepan, melt the ¼ cup of butter and add the brown sugar. Mix to combine and just cook together until the mixture comes to a boil stirring the whole time.
4) Pour the brown sugar mixture in the prepared pan and arrange apple slices over the top making 2 layers if you have to make them all fit. Set aside.
5) In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
6) In a large bowl cream together the ½ cup of butter and granulated sugar, add eggs, vanilla and orange zest and mix until creamy.
7) Add half of the dry ingredients and half of the milk and mix to combine, add the remaining dry ingredients and milk and just mix until everything is well incorporated and pour this batter over the apples making sure to spread it evenly.
8) Bake for 55 to 60 minutes and let cool for 15 minutes.
9) Place a plate upside down on the pan and turn plate and pan over to invert the cake right side up on the plate. Dust with powdered sugar and Enjoy!
If you love caramel apples and a fluffy spiced cake, than this is the recipe for you! I can’t begin to describe how wonderful it makes your house smell and how comforting it is to bring it out to your guests with a cup of coffee or tea. There’s not one person I know that doesn’t love this cake and who ever I give the recipe to always seems so shocked that it’s so easy to make. A lot of times making anything with the word caramel in it seems daunting, proper caramel needs to be tempered and no stirring and so many other finicky things but I don’t have the time or the energy to deal with that. So this is totally fool proof and comes out perfect every single time. The orange zest is such a great thing to add to this because it really cuts the over sweetness and richness of it in a great way. And of course I make this cake a lot around the colder months and the combination of spices with orange zest for me is heavenly. I hope you and your family enjoys this cake as much as we do!