Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 70
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Get Social With Laura!
1 ¼ cup & 1 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
½ cup of Sugar
¼ cup of Brown Sugar
1 tsp of Baking Soda
2 tsp of Cinnamon
½ tsp of Salt
¼ tsp of Nutmeg
¾ cup of Vegetable Oil
1 Tbsp of Vanilla Extract
1 tsp of Grated Orange Zest
1 ½ cups of Shredded Carrots
½ cup of Raisins
For the frosting:
3 oz of Cream Cheese, at room temperature
¼ cup of Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
2 cups of Powdered Sugar
1 tbsp of Water
1 tsp of Vanilla
¼ tsp of Ground Cinnamon
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2) Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with non stick cooking spray. Lay the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
3) In a bowl toss together the carrots, raisins and the 1 Tbsp of flour until all of the carrots and raisins are coated with the flour.
4) In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients until well combined. Add the carrots and raisins and mix until they are well incorporated through the batter.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6) When the cake is ready, let it cool in the pan for a few minutes but then take it out and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
7) Once the cake is completely cooled, make the frosting my simply mixing all of the ingredients together until you get a nice thick frosting. If you need to, add a little more water by the teaspoonful to get a spreadable frosting consistency.
8) Adorn the cake with that incredible cream cheese frosting and let it set for a few minutes until the frosting begins to harden. Dig in whenever you like!
I know it seems a little strange to have orange zest in a carrot cake, but for me I honestly think that it totally makes it. Because carrot cake as we know can be a bit rich tasting and trust me I do love that, I think it needs a little something to cut it and orange zest is perfect!
I love making cakes like this over the weekend so that it can sit in the fridge and I can grab a piece of it every morning for breakfast. Let’s be honest, during the week sitting down and having a proper breakfast is impossible. But for me knowing that there is carrot cake in the fridge to grab on the go, frankly makes waking up very doable.