Cook time1 hours 0 minutes
- 2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 Red or Green Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 15 oz can of Chopped Tomatoes and Chili
- 1 15 oz can of Black Beans
- 6 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp of Chili Powder
- 2 tsp of Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp of Dried Oregano
- 1 lb of Bonless, Skinless, Chicken Thighs
- Juice of One Lime
- ½ cup of Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Large Tortillas, toasted in the oven
1) Add the oil to a large soup pot and preheat it over medium-high heat, season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear it on all sides until golden brown. Remove them onto a plate and set aside.
2) Add another tablespoon or so of vegetable oil and add the chopped onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno, cook them for about 5 to 6 minutes or until they start to cook down.
3) Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano along with the tomato paste, cook them stirring for 30 seconds.
4) Add the canned tomatoes, black beans and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the chicken back in and lower the heat to medium. Cook for about 45 minutes.
5) Take the chicken out, allow it to cool slightly, then shred it or chop it into bite size pieces, put it back in the pit and stir everything together.
6) Turn off the heat and add the lime juice and cilantro and ladle into bowls.
7) Scatter the tortillas all over the top and top it with some sour cream or avocado or shredded cheese.