Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 820
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 6 to 8Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 hrs
4 to 6 Red Bell Peppers,
1 lb of Ground Beef
1 Small Onion, chopped
1 Jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
1 14oz can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 14oz can of Chopped Tomatoes
2 cups of Cooked White or Brown Rice
1/2 Bottle of Beer
4 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
1/2 cup of Beef Stock
1 Tbsp of Ground Chili Powder
1 tsp of Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp of Dried Oregano
1 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
1-1/2 cups of Shredded Sharp Cheddar
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1) Preheat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat and add the ground beef. Break up the beef as much as possible with a wooden spoon, season it with a small pinch of salt and pepper and allow it to cook until itís about half way cooked through.
2) Add the onion, pepper, jalapeno and garlic, add another pinch of salt and pepper and allow everything to cook together until the veggies soften and develop a bit of color.
3) Add the tomato paste and stir it in well, add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and brown sugar and give everything a good mix so that your mixture is well covered with the spices.
4) Add the beer and stir it in making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan to loosen up and brown bits.
5) Add the canned tomatoes, beans and stock, bring to a boil, partially cover the pot with a lid and allow the chili to simmer on medium low for a about an hour or until it has thickened.
6) Place the filling in a bowl and allow it to cool completely.
7) Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 degrees, cut your peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and ribs, place them in a casserole dish and pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes.
8) Allow them to cool a bit and discard any liquid that came out of the peppers.
9) In the bowl with the cooled filling, stir in the rice and cheese and stuff the filling in the partially cooked peppers.
10) Pop them back in the oven and bake them for 30 minutes.