Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 673
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Get Social With Laura!
Serves 8 to 10Prep time: 15 mins
1 12lb Whole Turkey, cleaned and neck and giblets removed
Aromatics such as a couple onions, halved, chopped carrots, whole bulbs of garlic cut in half, celery, apple, quartered and tons of fresh herbs such as thyme, sage and rosemary
1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup of Finely chopped Herbs such as rosemary, sage and thyme
Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Glaze:
1 cup of Apple Cider
1-1/2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2) Sprinkle the inside cavity of the turkey with plenty of salt and pepper. Stuff the the cavity with the onion, carrots, celery, apple, garlic, and herbs. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan (make your life easier and use a foil disposable one) pat the whole turkey dry with some paper towels and set aside.
3) In a bowl, mix together the butter and chopped herbs. Smear the butter mixture under the skin of the turkey and all over the outside.
4) Sprinkle the whole thing (after you’ve washed your hands of course) with plenty of salt and pepper and pop it in the oven for 20 minutes.
5) Turn the heat down to 350 and roast the turkey for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
6) Meanwhile make the cider glaze.
In a saucepan, cook the cider and sugar on medium until reduced by half (about 10 minutes) while whisking, add 1 Tbsp of butter at a time and continue to cook until the butter is evenly emulsified in the cider. Turn the heat off and allow it to sit until you are ready to use it.
7) After the turkey has roasted for one hour and 45 minutes, brush the whole thing with the cider glaze and pop it back in the oven for an additional hour or so basting it with that glaze every 15 minutes.
8) When the turkey is fully cooked, cover it with foil and let it rest for about 30 to 45 minutes.
Carve and serve with gravy!