Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 659
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Makes one loafPrep time: 3 hrs
Cook time: 40 mins
1 Envelopes of Yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
2 tsp of Salt
2 Tbsp of Sugar
3 Tbsp of Vegetable Shortening, melted
1 ¼ cup of Warm Water
4 cups of Bread Flour
⅓ cup of Non Fat Dry Milk Powder
For the Filling,
¼ cup of Sugar
2 Tbsp of Ground Cinnamon
⅓ cup of Dark Raisins
2 Tbsp of Softened Butter
1) In a small bowl, add the water, sugar, shortening and yeast. Let it sit for a few minutes until the yeast is activated.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with a dough hook attachment, add flour, milk powder, salt and the yeast/milk mixture and egg.
3) Knead the dough for just a few minutes or until it comes together.
4) Turn the dough onto a floured surface and continue to knead until the dough is nice and smooth.
5) Lightly grease a large bowl, place the dough in the greased bowl, brush the top with a little oil and cover with plastic wrap.
6) Place in a warm draft free spot and let it rise for about an hour and a half to two hours or until doubled in size.
7) Grease a 9x5” loaf pan with some vegetable oil and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the filling and set that aside as well.
8) Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it for a minute just to pull it together. Form it into a 10” wide by 20” long rectangle and smear the surface with the softened butter. Sprinkle over the cinnamon sugar mixture and raisins.
9) Starting from one of the short ends (easier if you start with the end farthest from you) roll it as tight as you can. Place it seam side down in your prepared loaf pan, cover it with a kitchen towel and allow it to rise above the edge of the loaf pan. This should take about an hour or so. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
10) In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk and brush this mixture all over the top of the bread.
11) Bake your bread for about 40 minutes or so or until lightly golden brown. If you see the bread turning brown too quickly, tent it with a little foil to stop it from getting too dark. Allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.