Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 888
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 8 to 10Prep time: 1 hrs 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
For The Cake:
1-3/4 cup of Cake Flour
1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
1 tsp of Baking Powder
1/2 tsp of Salt
3/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
6 Eggs, separated
3/4 cup of Coconut Milk
1/2 tsp of Coconut Extract
For the 3 Milk Mixture:
1/2 cup of Coconut Milk
1 14 oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 cup of Evaporated Milk
For the Frosting:
1 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp of Powdered Sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13Ē non stick baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and lay the bottom with parchment paper, set aside.
2) Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
3) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup of sugar, add the egg yolks, coconut extract and vanilla and mix on medium speed for about 3 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick and very pale.
4) Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they develop stiff peaks and set aside.
5) Add half of the milk along with half of the dry ingredients to the butter and egg yolk mixture and mix them just enough to incorporate (donít over mix) add in the remaining milk and dry ingredients and mix everything together.
6) Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter making sure to do it gently so you donít deflate the egg whites.
7) Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8) Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes and remove to a platter (make sure the platter has high edges because the milk mixture will run out the sides as you pour it on top).
9) Pierce the cake all over the top with a fork and set aside.
10) In a large measuring cup, whisk together the coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk, pour this mixture slowly all over the top of the cake so that it all soaks in the tender sponge.
11) Let that sit for a about 20 to 30 minutes so that the milk mixture really soaks in and then move on to making the whipped cream topping.
12) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the heavy cream and whisk to form soft peaks, add the powdered sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
13) Spread the whipped cream all over the top of the cake and decorate with maraschino cherries.