Cook time15 minutes
ServingsMakes 4 Sandwiches
- 8 Slices of Thick Cut White Bread
- 1 Tbsp of Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup of Milk
- 1/4 cup of Freshly Grated Parmiggiano
- A Touch of Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- A few slices of Swiss Cheese
- A few slices of Thinly Sliced Ham
- About 3 Tbsp of Melted Butter
- 4 Eggs
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Brush both sides of the bread with melted butter and pop them into the oven to toast on both sides, you will most likely have to flip them halfway through.
2) In a small saucepan, melt together the butter, add the flour and cook them together stirring constantly for about a minute. Add the milk, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook the sauce on medium heat until it thickens, it should take about 5 minutes, stir in the cheese and set aside.
3) Switch the broiler on to high. To assemble the sandwich, smear some of the mustard on one slice of the toasted bread, lay one slice of cheese followed by a couple slices of ham and finished off with another slice of cheese. Top with the other slice of bread, smear some of the bechamel on top of the bread and top it with a slice of cheese.
4) Pop the sandwiches under the broiler but make sure your oven rack is not right under the broiler otherwise the cheese will burn.
5) While the top is browning, quickly fry some eggs in a little oil in a skillet for just a few minutes or until the whites set but the yolk is still runny.
6) Top each sandwich with a fried egg, season with a touch of salt and pepper and dig in!