Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 56
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
1 Large Eggplant, about 1 Ĺ pounds, sliced lengthwise about 1/8 of an inch thick.
4 cups Meat Sauce ( click on my lasagna video to see how to make the ultimate homemade meat sauce)
Vegetable oil, enough to have about 1/4 inch of oil in the pan
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Fresh Parmiggiano Reggiano
5 oz Fresh Mozzarella
1) In a shallow dish whisk the eggs, season with salt and pepper and set aside. Add the flour into another large shallow dish, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2) Preheat your oil over medium heat until nice and hot.
3) Dredge the eggplant into the flour, shaking off any excess, dip into the beaten eggs and add to the hot oil. Cook for about a minute on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season with some salt as soon as they come out of the oil. Continue cooking up the rest of the eggplant making sure to put a layer of paper towels between each layer of eggplant to soak up any oil.
4) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
5) Take a 9 by 9 casserole dish and spread a little bit of meat sauce in the bottom. Add your eggplant in a single layer and add just enough sauce to cover the eggplant but donít make it too saucy otherwise it will be very soggy. Sprinkle over the top with lots of fresh parmiggiano reggiano and dot the top with fresh mozzarella. Continue with the remaining eggplant. The very top layer should be lots of parmiggiano and mozzarella.
6) Bake for about 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
I promise that once you make eggplant parm this way, you will never make it another way again! This is how its done in Napoli Italy and I guarantee that this is how itís going to be done in your home from now on.