Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 651
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Makes 18 or more, depending on size.Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
2 cups of Whole Milk, scalded
5 cups of Bread Flour
2 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, melted
2 Tbsp of Vegetable Shortening, melted
2 ½ Tbsp of sugar
1 ½ tsp of Salt
1 tsp of Baking Soda
1 Envelope of Active Dry Yeast, (2 ¼ tsp) plus 1 tsp of sugar
1) Sprinkle the yeast and 1 tsp of sugar over the milk and allow it to sit and foam for a few minutes. Add the shortening, butter and egg to the yeast mixture and whisk together to combine.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and milk mixture.
3) Mix the dough on low until the flour is incorporated, turn the speed up to medium and knead for 3 to 4 minutes or until the dough is smooth but still sticky.
4) Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, place it in a warm place and allow it to rise for about 2 hours.
5) Dump the dough on a floured surface, knead it together and cut it into 16 equal pieces (if you like smaller English muffins, cut them into 22 equal pieces). Roll each piece into a ball, press them down with your hand to form a patty and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle the top of your patties with a little more cornmeal, cover them with a kitchen towel and let them rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
6) Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
7) Preheat a griddle pan to medium, gently lift each round with a spatula, place it on the hot griddle and let them cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both sides (do them in batches) . Place them back on the baking sheet and place them in the oven for 10 minutes.
Allow them to cool a bit before serving.