Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 545
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Get Social With Laura!
Serves 2Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
1 Large Russet Potato, peeled
1 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp of Grated Onion or 1 Shallot
1 Egg White
Salt and Pepper to taste
Vegetable Oil as needed
1) Fill a bowl with cold water and set aside.
2) Grate the potatoes with a box grater and place them immediately into the cold water.
3) Allow the potatoes to sit in the water for about 5 to 10 minutes.
4) Remove the potatoes from the water and using a potato ricer (or a lint free towel) add a little bit of the shredded potatoes in it at a time and squeeze out all the excess liquid. Place them on a lint free towel to dry them up a bit more.
5) Add the potatoes to a large bowl and add the flour, egg white, salt, pepper and onion, mix together to combine well.
6) Meanwhile, add enough oil to coat the bottom (not too much, just a few tablespoons) of a large non stick skillet, preheat it over medium high heat
7) When the pan is nice and hot, add about 1/3 cup of the potato mixture at a time, making sure to flatten it as much as possible with a spatula, you want these to be as flat as you can get them for maximum crispiness.
8) Cook them for about 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until really brown and crispy.
If you feel like the potatoes are getting too dark too soon, reduce the heat to medium.