Cook time45 minutes
- 4 cups of All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup of Granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups of Buttermilk
- 1 cup of Raisins
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp of Baking Soda
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp of Salt
- 1/4 cup of Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- Zest of ½ of an Orange
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, mix to combine.
3) Add the butter and mix it until the butter is distributed well throughout the dry ingredients and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4) In a small bowl or measuring jug, whisk together the buttermilk, orange zest and eggs and pour them in the flour mixture. Allow it to mix until the dough comes together but don’t let it mix too long. Mix in the raisins very quickly at the last possible second.
5) Dump the dough on top of a well floured surface and need it just enough to shape it into a round loaf.
6) Place the loaf on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, slice a deep X shape on top of the loaf and bake it for 45 minutes to an hour or until the bread feels hallow when tapped.
Allow to cool a bit before serving.