Preparation12 hours 0 minutes
Cook time10 minutes
ServingsMakes a Few Dozen
- 1-1/4 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 8oz of Almond Paste NOT MARZIPAN
- 1 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 14 oz Jar of Apricot Jam
- 1lb of Bittersweet Chocolate
- 1 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 9x12 baking sheet (or 13x9 baking sheets which is what I used) with parchment paper and spray well with some non stick spray, set aside.
2) Break up the almond paste into large chunks, place them in a bowl and set aside.
3) In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the almond paste and let it mix on medium speed for 1 minute, add the sugar and continue to mix for 3 to 4 minutes or until the almond paste and sugar have combined and the mixture resembles coarse sand. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
4) Add the butter and mix for 2 minutes, add the egg yolks and mix just long enough to combine.
5) Add the flour and salt, mix until they are incorporated then by hand fold in the egg whites.
6) Remove 1/3 of the batter and smear it evenly in the prepared baking sheet and set aside.
7) Divide the remaining batter into two bowls, add green food coloring to one and red to the other. Mix until you achieve the intense color you’re looking for and smear each in the prepared baking sheets.
8) Bake them for 8 to 10 minutes or until fully cooked through and allow them to cool completely.
9) Add the jam in a microwave safe bowl and pop it in the microwave for about 40 seconds just to loosen it up a bit.
10) Smear half of the apricot jam evenly over the red layer (keep the red cookie base in the same baking sheet) top it with the plain layer (make sure you remove the parchment paper from the bottom) and smear the remaining apricot over the whole surface.
11) Top with the green layer (remove the parchment paper from the bottom) wrap the whole thing in a few pieces of plastic wrap, place one of the baking sheets on top of them and weigh it down with a few cans, pop it in the fridge to set for either 4 hours or overnight.
12) In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate using the melted chocolate setting on your microwave making sure to give it a stir every 15 seconds.
13) Once fully melted, stir in the vegetable oil and smear the chocolate all over the surface of the cookie base (the green layer) and pop it back in the fridge to set completely, about an hour.
14) Slice into squares using a serrated knife and serve.