Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 414
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 8 to 10Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
For the cake batter:
1/3 cup of All Purpose Flour
½ tsp of Baking Powder
¼ tsp of Salt
½ cup of Ground Almonds
4 Eggs, separated
¾ cups of Granulated Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
¼ tsp of Almond Extract
For the Filling:
1 ½ cups of Heavy Cream
3 Tbsp of Confectioner Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
For the Sauce:
2 Pints of Fresh Strawberries, rinsed and hulled
6 Tbsp of Sugar
1 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
Confectioner Sugar, to finish
1) Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 17X11 inch baking sheet with non stick spray and lay the bottom with parchment paper.
2) In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder, set aside.
3) In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg yolks until they become light in color. Slowly beat in ½ cup of the sugar. Add in both kinds of extracts, then add in the dry mixture along and the ground almonds and gently mix everything together.
4) In a separate bowl, using a handheld whisk, add the egg whites and salt and beat until foamy. Gradually beat in the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and continue to whisk until the egg whites develop soft to semi-stiff peeks.
5) Gently fold the egg whites in the yolk and flour mixture.
6) Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned and the cake springs back to the touch.
7) Meanwhile, spread a large lint free kitchen towel out on you work surface, dust it generously with confectioner sugar.
8) As soon as the cake is ready, run a knife around the sides of the pan and invert onto the the kitchen towel.
9) Roll up the cake in the towel from one of the long sides, place the rolled up cake on a rack to cool.
10) Meanwhile, place a large bowl and your beaters from your electric mixer into the fridge for a bit to chill them.
11) When the cake has cooled make the whipped cream topping.
12) In the chilled bowl, using a handheld electric mixer with the chilled beaters, add the cream, vanilla and sugar and beat until the mixture forms stiff peeks.
13) Unroll the cake, leaving it on the towel. Spread the whipped cream all over, leaving about 2 inch border along one of the long sides.
14) Reroll the cake onto the towel, using the towel, lift the cake onto a platter, remove the towel and place the cake in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours to set (or up to overnight)
15) To make the sauce, add all of the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
To serve, cut a slice of the jelly roll and place on a dessert plate, drizzle some of the sauce around the edges.