Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 121
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
1 9” Pie Crust, store bought or homemade
For the lemon curd:
1 ½ Cups of Water
1 Cup of Sugar
¼ Cup of Corn Starch
¼ tsp of salt
Zest of 2 large Lemons
Juice of 2 Large Lemons
2 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
4 egg Yolks, beaten
For the meringue:
4 Egg Whites
6 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
¼ tsp of Cream of Tartar
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9” tart pan with nonstick cooking spray and lay in the pie crust. Line the inside of the crust with aluminum foil and fill it with pie weights or beans. Bake for 10 minutes and remove the foil and beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
While the crust bakes make the lemon curd.
2) In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine together the first 6 ingredients and bring to a gentle boil making sure to whisk the entire time so no lumps form.
3) Add the butter and whisk until it melts, add half a cup of the hot sugar mixture to the egg yolks and whisk t get them up to temperature. Add the egg yolk mixture to the pot with the remaining sugar mixture and cook for about 1 more minute constantly whisking. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4) To make the meringue, in a large metal bowl whisk the egg whites and once they are frothy slowly add the sugar and cream of tartar and continue to whisk until they form still peaks.
5) To assemble, pour the lemon curd into the pre baked pie crust and top that with the meringue making sure to form little peaks on the top. Put it back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and brown all over the top.
Let cool 3 hours before slicing.