Cook time minutes
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 ounces of thick cut pancetta cut into small pieces
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 5oz bag of fresh baby spinach washed and trimmed
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 14 oz can of low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup of short cut pasta
- Salt and pepper
- 6-7 leaves of fresh basil
1) In a large heavy bottom soup pot heat the olive oil on medium heat and sauté the pancetta until crispy, just a couple minutes. Once the pancetta is crispy remove from the pan and set aside.
2) Add the chopped onion, carrots and celery and sauté until the vegetables start to cook down and caramelize about 3 minutes, add the potato and garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, you want all the vegetables to get a golden brown color all over.
3) Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato puree and the chicken stock, place a lid on the pan turn the heat to medium high and cook for 30 minutes.
4) When all the vegetables are cooked (mixture should be slightly thicker) season with salt and pepper to taste and add the pasta (cook the pasta according to package instructions) when the pasta is about 2 minutes away from being done add the spinach and basil, cook just until the spinach is wilted . Serve with good crusty Italian bread.