I adore this time of year so much! To me itís all the festive holiday gatherings that make it really special. I entertain really often so itís important that Iím well stocked up with all of my baking staples. Eggs, flour and sugar are basic must-haves all throughout the year, but especially during the holiday season since Iím constantly whipping up batches of cookie dough, pies and cakes. Eggs are also incredibly versatile, from desserts to breakfast treats, I always make sure to grab an extra carton so Iím covered at all times.
As much as I love the holidays I know they can be quite hectic and busy, so when I entertain I try to make the kind of food thatís easy to make but really packs a punch. Eggnog is a must around here, itís the drink of the season and I love using it in baking to kick up the flavor in my holiday treats! I love it poured over ice or added to a batter to turn it into something really spectacular.
Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 516
My Mini Eggnog Cupcakes are a huge hit, and for a good reason. Sweet and delicate, infused with the holiday spirit, these are the perfect treat at any gathering and they truly couldn't be easier to make. The thing I love most about these cupcakes is that the batter is no different than a basic vanilla cupcake but I turn up the volume and give them a seasonal spin by adding eggnog and freshly grated nutmeg. You can make these regular size but when I make them for a party, I prefer making mini ones because I think they are a little easier to eat. Rather than buying eggnog already made, try making your own. Itís so easy and the flavor is unbeatable! I have a recipe for homemade eggnog and so do my friends at incredibleegg.org so if youíre feeling festive, give them a try and I promise you wonít regret it!
Makes about 32Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
For the Cake Batter:
1 1/4 cups of Cake Flour
1 tsp of Baking Powder
Ĺ tsp of Baking Soda
ľ tsp of Salt
1 tsp of Nutmeg
1 cup of Granulated Sugar
ľ cup of Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
ľ cup of Vegetable Oil
1/3 cup of Eggnog
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
For the Frosting:
4oz of Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
2 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
2 cups of Confectioner Sugar
Ĺ tsp of Vanilla Extract
ľ tsp of Nutmeg
2 Tbsp of Eggnog
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line a couple of mini muffin tins with liners and set aside.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients, set aside.
3) In a large bowl, using a handheld whisk, cream together the butter, oil and sugar for about 1 minute or until nice and fluffy.
4) Add the vanilla and eggs and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and pale in color. Add the eggnog and mix that in so itís combined.
5) Add the dry ingredients and mix everything together so you have a nice smooth batter but donít over mix.
6) Using a small ice cream scoop, divide your batter evenly in your muffin tin, bake them for about 12 to 14 minutes or until cooked through. Allow them to cool completely.
7) To make the frosting, add the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a large bowl and using a hand help electric whisk, cream them together well, add remaining ingredients and mix until you have a nice creamy frosting.
8) When the cupcakes are cooled, fill a disposable piping bag with the frosting, (make sure the piping bag is fitted with a plain large tip) decorate the cupcakes as desired and top them with some colorful sprinkles.