Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 492
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Makes 18Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
For the Dough:
1 ½ cups of All Purpose Flour
5 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into small cubes
¼ cup of Vegetable Shortening, cold
½ tsp of Salt
4 Tbsp of Confectioner Sugar
Zest of 2 Clementines or One Small Orange
About 3 to 4 Tbsp of Cold Clementine Juice or Orange Juice
For the Filling:
½ cup of Dark Raisins
½ cup of Golden Raisins
½ cup of Dried Cranberries
1/2 cup of Currants
¾ cup of Brown Sugar
1 ½ tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice
Zest and Juice of One Orange
Zest and Juice of One Lemon
¼ cup of Brandy
¼ cup of Candied Citrus Peel
3 Tbsp of Candied Ginger
½ tsp of Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
¾ cup of Apple Juice
3 Apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
1) Place all ingredients for the filling in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the apples are tender and the dried fruit are soft. Let it cool completely!
For the Pastry:
2) Place the flour, salt and confectioner sugar in a food processor, pulse until they are mixed through.
3) Add the cubed butter and shortening and pulse about 10 or 12 times, just enough time for the fat to be distributed through and it’s size resembles the size of peas.
4) Add the juice pulsing constantly until the dough comes together.
5) Wrap it in plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge for around an hour.
6) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
7) Grease 2 muffin tins well with non stick spray.
8) Roll the dough out on a floured surface and using a 3” cookie cutter, cut out the rounds.
9) Fit them in the muffin tin and gather up all the leftover dough. Roll it out once again and cut 6 more pieces. Using a small either star shaped cookie cutter or a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut little pieces out of the leftover pieces of dough.
10) Fill the pastry shells with about 1 ½ tbsp of the filling and top it with the little cut out.
11) Brush the tops with egg wash and bake them for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
12) Allow to cool completely and dust with confectioner sugar.