Cook time10 minutes
- 7 Egg Yolks
- ¾ cup of Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups of Whole Milk
- 1 cup of Heavy Cream
- ¾ tsp of Peppermint Extract
- ¼ tsp of Salt
- 2 Drops of Green Food Coloring, optional
- ¾ cup of Mini Chocolate Chips
1) In a large bowl, Whisk together the eggs and sugar for 3 to 4 minutes or until the mixture turns a thick pale color, set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan, add the milk and cream and bring a simmer but don’t let it boil.
3) Whisk 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
4) Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk and egg mixture and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
5) Strain the mixture through a fine sieve in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap making sure that the plastic wrap is actually touching the cream mixture, refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or up to overnight.
6) Make sure to put your ice cream machine insert in the freezer overnight.
7) When you are ready to finish the ice cream, pop the custard in the freezer for 10 minutes.
8) Once it’s nice and cold, stir in the peppermint extract and add it to your frozen ice cream machine insert. Turn the ice cream machine on and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions (mine takes about 25 minutes)
9) Once you see that the ice cream is just about frozen all the way, add in the mini chocolate chips and continue to let it churn in the machine until fully frozen. Serve right away or freeze it in an air tight container for up to a month.