Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 939
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 4 to 6Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
28 oz can of Cherry Tomatoes (you can use plum tomatoes and crush them with your hands)
3/4 lb of Mixed seafood (no shell, fresh or thawed if frozen)
1/2 cup of Breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp of Fresh Chopped Parsley
1/2 cup of Diced Provola (use mozzarella here)
1/4 cup of Freshly Grated Parmiggiano
2 Large Tubes of Calamari, cleaned but uncut
1/3 cup of White Wine
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Few Basil Leaves
Salt, to taste
1) Add some water to a large pan, bring to a simmer and drop the whole calamari tubes in the water. Cook them for about 5 minutes on each side, remove them from water and allow them to cool.
2) In a separate skillet over medium heat, add half of the oil and garlic allow it to sizzle and the garlic to lightly brown (remove the garlic from the skillet at this point) add the seafood along with a small pinch of salt and allow it to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
3) In a bowl, add the cooked and cooled seafood, the egg, bread crumbs, parsley, parmigiano, provola or mozzarella, and about 8 or 9 of the carry cherry tomatoes (crush them with your hands as you add them in). Mix everything together well, stuff the calamari with the filling and close the seam with a few toothpicks.
4) In a large deep skillet, add the remaining olive oil and allow it get nice and hot over medium heat, add the calamari and sear them on all sides until golden, add the wine, allow it to reduce for a minute, add the tomatoes along with the hot pepper flakes and few leaves of basil and bring to a boil.
5) Reduce the heat to medium low, partially cover the pan with a lid and allow everything to cook together for about half an hour or so.
6) Season with some salt to taste, and serve!
NOTE: Depending on the size of the calamari, you might need more than two since each one of these serves at least 2 people.