Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 740
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Makes 14-16 RollsPrep time: 3 hrs
Cook time: 45 mins
1 Package of Dry Yeast
3/4 cup of Whole Milk
1/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup of Water, warmed up to 115 degrees
1/4 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1 tsp of Salt
1/4 cup of Unsalted Butter, melted
4 cups of All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup of Melted Butter, to brush over the top before baking
For the Filling:
1/3 cup of Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
Zest of 2 Oranges
For the Glaze:
1/4 cup of Cream Cheese, at room temperature
1 Tbsp of Butter, at room temperature
1-1/4 cups of Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
3 Tbsp or so of Orange Juice
1) In a small bowl, combine the warm water and 1 tsp of the granulated sugar, sprinkle the yeast over the top and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the egg, milk, salt, sugar and melted butter. Add 2 cups of the flour and the water, vanilla and yeast mixture, mix until its all incorporated and slowly add about 2 more cups of flour. Turn the speed up to medium and let it mix for about 5 to 7 minutes or until you have a smooth dough.
3) Oil a large bowl with some vegetable oil and set aside. Take the dough out of the mixer and pull it together with your hands to form a ball. Place it in the oiled bowl and oil the top of the dough with a little vegetable oil. Cover with plastic wrap and place it in a warm spot to rise for about 2 hours.
4) When doubled in size, punch the dough down and roll it out onto a floured surface into a 15x9” rectangle. Spread the soft butter over the top and sprinkle the the sugar and orange zest evenly over the butter. Starting from one of the long ends, tightly roll the dough into a jelly roll form. Cut into 14 to 16 slices (make sure they are even) and place them cut side down in a well buttered 9x13" baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and put them back into a warm spot to rise for another 1-1/2 hours.
5) Meanwhile preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
6) Once risen, brush them with some melted butter and bake them for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6) While the orange rolls cool for a few minutes make the glaze. Mix all the ingredients of the glaze in a bowl except for the orange juice, once the cream cheese is all mixed, slowly add the orange juice until you get a runny glaze consistency. Immediately pour the glaze over the rolls and enjoy!