Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 586
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Get Social With Laura!Snap: LauraVitale86
Serves 8Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
2 ¼ cups of Paella Rice or Risotto Rice
8oz Spanish Style Chorizo, cut into coins
1 ¼ lb of Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Thighs, cut into large chunks
1 Large Yellow Onion, finely diced
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
About 6 Cups of Chicken Stock
¾ cup of Canned Chopped Tomatoes
Large Pinch of Saffron
1 tsp of Smoked Sweet Paprika
About 4 Tbsp of Olive Oil
½ cup of Fresh Parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Seafood,
1 lb of Large Shrimp, shelled and Devained
1 Dozen Mussels, scrubbed and soaked
1 Dozen Manilla or Little Neck Clams, scrubbed and soaked
Lemon wedges to serve
1) In a very large Skillet or an 18” Paella pan, add 2 Tbsp of the oil and preheat it over medium high heat.
2) Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and allow it to brown on all sides. Since the pan you’re using is pretty large, make sure you place the chicken in the center of the skillet where it’s the hottest.
3) Move the chicken to one side, add the remaining oil and add the onion, chorizo and garlic, let those cook until the chorizo releases its flavor and onions develop some color.
4) Add the rice and paprika and cook the rice for about a minute making sure to stir the whole time so it can soak up some of the flavor from the onion mixture.
5) Add the canned tomatoes, stock and saffron, bring the mixture up to a boil, reduce the heat to medium/medium low, cover it with either a lid or a couple layers of aluminum foil, and cook the mixture for about 15 minutes or until the rice is just about cooked but still has a bite.
6) Remove the cover from the pan, arrange your seafood on the rice, making sure to tuck the mussels and clams in the mixture, cover the pan once again and let the mixture cook for about 10 minutes or until all the mussels and clams open and the shrimp is fully cooked.
8) Season with salt and pepper, turn the heat to high and let the mixture cook for about a minute or until the rice starts to brown on the bottom and gets nice and toasty.
9) Stir in the parsley, arrange some lemon wedges on the top and serve right away!