Cook time25 minutes
- 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, sliced into 1/2 inch strips and then cut those strips in half
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, peeled and sliced into half moon
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream
- 3 oz Jar of Basil Pesto
- 1/2 cup of Freshly Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 12 oz of Medium cut pasta such as Penne or Bow Ties
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1) Fill a large pot with water, add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
2) In a large skillet with high sides, add the olive oil, preheat it over medium high heat (a little less than medium high but not quite as low as medium) add the onions and peppers season with a small pinch of salt and saute them for 10 to 12 minutes or until they have cooked down quite a bit and developed some color.
3) Once the peppers and onions have cooked down, add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then add the heavy cream and tomatoes along with another pinch of salt and some black pepper, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes. At this point, add the pasta to the boiling water, cook according to package instructions and before you drain it, reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water.
4) Add the pesto and cooking water to the sauce, stir it all together, then add the drained pasta along with the grated Parmigiano and cook all together for a few minutes on medium high heat until the sauce thickens a bit.
5) Serve right away!