Preparation5 hours 0 minutes
Cook time minutes
ServingsMakes several jars
- 2 lb of Small Firm Eggplant, peeled, cut into 1/4” slices and each slice cut into 1/4” matchsticks
- Sliced Garlic, I used 5 cloves
- Pinch of Hot Pepper Flakes
- Distilled White Vinegar
- Kosher Salt
- Sunflower Oil
1) Toss the eggplant with about 1/3 cup of kosher salt, add them to a large colander (you might have to do this in 2 colanders) put a plate directly on the eggplant and add a heavy can to weigh down the eggplant (put the colander in the sink or in a bowl to catch the liquid) and let them sit for about 3 to 4 hours giving the eggplants a toss every hour or so.
2) Fill a large pot halfway with water and the other half with vinegar, bring to a boil, add the salted eggplant, cook it for 1 minute then drain them and put them on a single layer on a paper towel lined baking sheet and allow them to cool completely. You will definitely have to do this in 2 or possibly 3 batches so be patient.
3) Once cooled, add the eggplants to a large bowl, add the garlic, hot pepper flakes and enough sunflower oil to coat the eggplants, toss them together and set aside.
4) fill some cleaned sanitized jars with the eggplants and add enough sunflower oil to cover the eggplants and make sure the oil is distributed well throughout the jar of eggplants. Tightly seal them with a lid and place them in a cool dark place for a minimum of 2 weeks before eating.