Cook time30 minutes
ServingsServes 10 to 12
- 2 ½ cups of All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup of Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½ cups of Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 tsp of Baking Soda
- ½ tsp of Salt
- ½ cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- ¼ cup of Vegetable Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp of White Distilled Vinegar
- 1 Cup of Buttermilk
- Red Food Coloring
- 2 tsp of Vanilla ExtractCream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 Cups of Powdered Sugar
- 8 oz of Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp of Milk
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 9” cake pans and line them with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
3) In the bowl of a standing fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar and vegetable oil.
4) Add the Eggs and vanilla and cream them together until combined.
5) In a measuring jug, mix together the buttermilk, vinegar and enough food coloring to get a deep red color.
6) Add the buttermilk mixture along with the dry ingredients and allow everything to mix together until you get a smooth batter.
7) Divide the batter evenly among the two baking pans, pop them in the oven and bake them for about 25 minutes or until cooked through.
8) Allow the cakes to cool for about 15 minutes in the pans, take them out of the baking pans and allow them to cool completely on wire racks.
9) To make the frosting, in a large bowl, cream together (using a standing mixer with a paddle attachment works best) the butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt.
10) Add enough milk (1Tbsp at a time) until the frosting is nice and creamy.
11) Place one of the cakes on a cake stand, carefully slice off a very thin slice off the top (so its not rounded) add a couple of dollops of the frosting and spread it evenly.
12) Place the other cake on top, rounded side down, and frost all over the top and sides of the cake.
13) Finish off with chopped pecans all over the sides of the cake.