Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 855
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 8Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hrs 30 mins
For the beef:
5 lb Boneless Prime Rib Roast
4 Cloves of Garlic
3 Tbsp of Kosher Salt
2 tsp of Dijon Mustard
3 Sprigs of Rosemary
1 Tbsp of Granulated Garlic
1 Tbsp of Granulated Onion
2 Tbsp of Dried Parsley
2 Tbsp of Coarsely Ground Tri Colored Peppercorn
1/4 cup or so of Olive Oil
A drizzle of Vegetable Oil
For the Horseradish Sour Cream:
2/3 cup of Sour Cream
2 tsp of Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp of Prepared Horseradish or more to taste
1 Tbsp of Chopped Chives
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
For the Au Ju:
2 cups of Beef Stock
1/4 cup of Red Wine
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2) Slice each clove of garlic into 4 slivers and set aside.
3) Make slits all over the surface of the roast and stuff a piece of garlic in each one and set aside.
4) Preheat a large skillet (one big enough to fit the roast) over high heat, add a bit of vegetable oil and get it nice and hot, place the prime rib top side down and sear on all sides.
5) Place the roast on a rack over a roasting pan and set aside to cool a bit.
6) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add the salt, dijon mustard, rosemary, granulated onion and garlic, dried parsley, peppercorns and olive oil, mix until itís all well combined.
7) Smear the mixture all over the top and sides of the roast and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to 375 and roast for an additional hour or until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees. If you feel like your roast is getting too much color, cover it with some aluminum foil halfway throughout itís roasting time
8) Remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow it to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make your au ju and horseradish sauce.
9) To make the Au ju, add the wine, pan drippings (if there are any) and beef stock to a saucepan and cook it on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the mixture has reduced by half, season lightly with salt and pepper and serve!
10) To make the horseradish sour cream, in a bowl, mix together the sour cream, dijon mustard, prepared horseradish, chopped chives, salt and pepper, pop it in the fridge to set for about 10 minutes before serving.