Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 1039
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Makes 1 loafPrep time: 3 hrs 20 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
4 Cups of Spelt Flour
1/2 cup of Quick Cooking or Old Fashioned Oats
2 tsp of Salt
2-1/2 tsp of Active Dry Yeast
1 tsp of Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp of Honey
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1-3/4 cups of Warm Water
1) In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the water, sugar and yeast, set aside for a few minutes or until the yeast becomes foamy.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the flour, oats and salt and set aside.
3) When the yeast is ready, add the honey and oil to it, give it a gentle stir and add the wet mixture into the dry, attach the dough attachment to your mixer and mix on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until the dough comes together.
4) Place the dough into an oiled bowl (brush a little oil on the top as well) cover with some plastic wrap, place it somewhere warm and allow it to rise for about an hour and a half to two hours or until it’s doubled in size. Grease a 9x5” loaf pan with some vegetable oil and set it aside.
5) Once it has risen, remove the plastic, press it down to deflate it and using your hands (flour your hands with a little spelt flour if they are sticking too much to the dough) fold the dough in thirds (like an envelope) and scoop it right in the prepared pan.
6) Make a few slits on the top of the bread using a sharp knife, then sprinkle some more oats (press them into the dough) and a little flour on top of the bread. Cover once more with some plastic wrap and allow it to rise for another hour to an hour and a half or until it comes up the top of the pan.
7) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, bake the bread for about 35 minutes, then remove it from the pan, allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.