Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 1059
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 4 to 6Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
For the pesto:
8 cups of Baby Spinach, washed and dried
3 Tbsp of Toasted Pistachios
2 Cloves of Garlic
Zest and Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1/2 cup of Freshly Grated Parmigiano
1/2 cup of Basil Leaves
1/2 cup of Parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Tomatoes and Pasta:
1 lb of Short Cut Pasta such as penne, bowties or any shape of your choice
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 lb of Tomatoes, halved or quartered
Salt, to taste
1) Fill a large pot with water, add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
2) To the salted boiling water, add the spinach, cook for 30 seconds, then remove from the water to a bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside.
3) In the same boiling water you cooked the spinach in, add the pasta and cook according to package instructions.
4) In a food processor, add the blanched spinach (squeeze out any excess water) and pretty much everything else to make the pesto except for the oil. Start pureeing the pesto, then drizzle in the olive oil and blend until smooth, set aside.
5) In a small skillet, over medium heat, add the one tablespoon of oil along with the chopped garlic, saute for about 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes along with a pinch of salt and saute for an additional 30 seconds, remove from the heat and set aside.
6) Reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water, then drain the pasta and place it back in the same big pot. To the pasta, add the tomato mixture along with the pesto and some freshly grated parmigiano, toss to mix everything together and if you need to thin out the pesto a bit add a little of the starchy cooking water.
7) Serve right away or cover and pop it in the fridge for a bit so all the flavors can develop further.