Cook time15 minutes
- 2 ½ cups of All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp of Orange Zest
- ¼ tsp of Salt
- 1 Envelope of Vanillina
- ¾ cup of Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup of Vegetable Shortening, cold and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 Egg Yolks
- A few Tablespoons of Ice Water
- 1 1/4 cups of Strawberry Jam
- Egg Wash, 1 egg beaten with a tablespoon of water or milk
1) In the bowl of standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, vanillina, orange zest, salt and sugar and mix briefly until combined well.
2) Add the cold butter and shortening and mix until the butter and shortening are well distributed throughout the dry ingredients and there are little bits of them running through the mixture.
3) Add the egg yolks and mix until the dough starts to come together.
4) With the mixer running, add in a tablespoon of ice water at a time until the dough starts coming together well.
5) Dump on a floured surface and knead the dough long enough for it to come together.
6) Take 1/3 of the dough and form a small disk and take the remaining dough and form a larger disk. Wrap them both with plastic wrap and pop them in the fridge for about an hour.
8) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
7) Take the dough out about 10 minutes before you start rolling it. Grease a 9” tart pan with a removable bottom and place it on a baking sheet, set aside.
8) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the bigger piece of dough into a 12 inch circle and place it in the tart pan (make sure the sides are over hanging a bit)
9) Line the inside of the tart shell with some aluminum foil, fill it with dried beans or pie weights and bake it for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and fill the tart shell with the jam, set aside.
10) Roll out the second piece to about a 10" circle and cut outstrips that are about 1/2" wide.
10)Brush some egg wash all over the edge and place your strips in a criss cross pattern all over the top and trim off the extra dough.
11) Brush the top of the stripes with a bit more egg wash, bake the tart for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow it to cool completely before serving.