Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 33
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
1 9” Pre-made Pie Crust (make sure it’s not already cooked)
1 Pint Fresh Strawberries, sliced in half or if they are very big slice them in thirds
5 Egg Yolks
½ cup Plus 2 Tbsp of Sugar
2.5 Tbsp Cornstarch
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1 ½ cups Scalded Milk (scalded just means below boiling point)
2 tsp Cognac
Zest of 1 Large Orange
1 tsp Unsalted Butter
¼ cup Strawberry Preserves
1) In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolk and sugar until thick and pale, about 1 minute. Add the cornstarch and whisk to combine.
2) Slowly add the scalded milk and whisk to combine. Pour this batter into a medium saucepan and cook on low heat whisking constantly until the cream thickens. Once this mixture has thickened turn the heat off and add the orange zest, cognac and butter, whisk to melt the butter in the hot custard. Pour the custard into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the custard and refrigerate until cold.
3) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9” tart pan with non stick baking cooking spray and set aside.
4) Unroll the pre-made pie crust and fit it into the prepared tart pan tucking in the edges so that when it shrinks during baking you will have a thick edge.
5) Line the tart shell with a piece of buttered aluminum foil, butter side down, and fill with dried beans or rice. This is called blind baking witch just means part baking the crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and foil, prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
6) Before serving, fill the tart shell with the cognac and orange pastry cream. Arrange the strawberries decoratively on top of the cream. Melt the strawberry preserves in the microwave for 45 seconds, brush the top of the strawberries and sprinkle with powder sugar.
Serve immediately because it looks and tastes way too good to wait!