Cook time1 hours 10 minutes
ServingsServes 8 (or more depending on how big your pieces are)
- 2 lbs of Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp of Poultry Seasoning
- 1-1/2 lbs of Ground Turkey
- 1 large Onion, minced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 cup (or a tiny bit more) of Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper, to tasteFor the White Sauce:
- 1/3 cup of Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups of Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup of Extra Sharp Cheedar cheese
- 1 cup of Parmiggiano Reggiano
- ¼ tsp of freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- A few Pieces of fresh herbs such as Thyme, Rosemary and Sage, tied with some kitchen twineAdditional Ingredients:
- 1 lb of No Boil Lasagna Sheets
- Freshly Grated Parmiggiano
- A couple Cups of shredded Extra sharp Cheddar
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, lightly grease a 9x13” baking dish with a little olive oil and set aside.
2) To make the butternut squash lasagna, preheat a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and allow it to get nice and hot, add the turkey and break it up as much as you can with your wooden spoon, allow it to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until cooked about half way.
3) Add the onions and garlic, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook them together for a few minutes or until the onions begin to cook down and the turkey is fully cooked.
4) Add the butternut squash, poultry seasoning, season with salt and pepper, cook for about a minute, add the stock, cover, let it cook for about 15 minutes or until the butternut squash is fully cooked and really soft.
To make the Sauce:
5) In a large saucepan, add the butter and melt it over medium heat, add the flour and cook them together stirring constantly for about a minute.
6) Add the milk, herbs, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook the sauce for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened making sure to stir pretty much constantly
7) Stir in the cheddar and parmiggiano, and take it off the heat.
8) To assemble, butter your baking dish well with some softened butter.
9) Ladle some of the sauce in the bottom of your baking dish, lay 4 pieces of lasagna noodles in the bottom of the dish overlapping a little.
10) Spoon over 1/4 of the turkey filling, followed by a handful of shredded cheddar, a good sprinkle of parmiggiano and a couple ladles of the sauce.
11) Continue this process until you end up with the 5th layer of the noodles being the very top and cover them with the remaining sauce.
12) Cover the lasagna with some aluminum foil and bake it for about 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle over the remaining cheeses and bake it uncovered for another 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly on top.
13) Allow it to cool for about 30 minutes before serving.