Watch on YouTube | You're Watching Episode: 454
More Laura in the Kitchen Recipes:
Serves 4-6Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 hrs
3 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 lbs of Ripe Tomatoes
1 32 oz Can of Canned Whole Tomatoes
1 1/4 cups of Chicken Stock (or more depending on how think or runny you like it)
½ cup of Heavy Cream
1 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup of Fresh Basil Leaves
Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Parmesan Croutons:
(I used a roasted garlic baguette so I omitted the garlic powder.)
2 cups of Cubed Bread, preferably ciabatta or a baguette
½ cup of Freshly Grated Parmiggiano (parmesan)
3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 tsp of Garlic Powder
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2) Toss the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbsp of oil and salt and pepper on a baking sheet. Make sure the mixture is in one even layer and roast for about 25 minutes or until they develop a gorgeous roasted color.
3) Meanwhile, in a large pot, add the remaining oil with the chopped onion and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 to 8 minutes or until the onion really develops a golden brown color, add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
4) Add the canned tomatoes, chicken stock and turn the heat up to medium-high. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, reduce the heat back to medium and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes (the roasted tomatoes should be done at this point).
5) Add the basil (not chopped) and roasted tomatoes to the simmering soup and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
6) Remove the basil and discard. Season the whole thing with salt and pepper to taste and turn the heat off.
7) Using either an emersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until smooth, then pass it through a sieve into another pot.
8) Turn the heat onto medium and let the soup simmer for about 2 minutes, add the cream and give it one last stir. Remove from the heat.
9) Serve with the parmesan croutons!
To make the Croutons:
10) Place all ingredients into a bowl and toss together well. Place them on a baking sheet and bake them in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or so. Allow them to cool before storing.
11) They will keep very well in an airtight container at room temperature for about 4 days.