Cook time30 minutes
For the Shortbread Layer:
- 1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 1/4 tsp of Vanilla Bean Paste or 1 tsp of Vanilla ExtractFor the Caramel Layer:
- 1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp of Brown SugarFor the Chocolate Layer:
- 6 oz of Good Semisweet Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1-1/2 tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- Pinch of Sea Salt
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and spray the whole thing well with some non-stick spray and set aside.
2) In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla, fold in the flour and salt and mix until it comes together. Press the dough into your prepared pan making sure itís nice and even on the bottom and sides, pierce the whole thing with a fork and pop the crust in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
3) In a small heavy duty pot, add all the ingredients for the caramel filling and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens and darkens slightly.
4) Pour the caramel into the crust, smooth the top nice and evenly and allow to cool for a couple of hours.
5) In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate and butter and pop it in to the microwave for about a minute or until the chocolate is melted (do this in 20 second increments so the chocolate doesnít burn, pour over the caramel, smooth our the top and sprinkle over a tiny bit of salt, allow it to set for a couple hours before serving.