Cook time30 minutes
For the bagels:
- 2-1/4 tsp of Active Dry Yeast
- 1-1/2 cups of Warm Water, needs to be around 115 degrees F
- 2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- 3-1/2 cups of Bread Flour
- 2 tsp of SaltFor the water bath:
- 12 cups of Water
- 1/3 cup of Honey
- 1 Eggwhite beaten with a splash of water to make an eggwashFor the topping:
- 1 cup of Tomato Puree
- 1 Tbsp of Pizza Seasoning
- 1 Cup of Shredded Mozzarella, roughly chopped in a food processor
- 1 Cup of Pepperoni, roughly chopped in a food processor
1) In a small bowl, mix together the warm water, 1 teaspoon of sugar and yeast, set aside for a few minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
2) Once the yeast is activated, in the bowl of a standing mixer, add the flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast and water mixture, attach a dough hook and mix for about 8 minutes on medium-low speed until your dough is smooth. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and (flip it over to coat the whole thing with a bit of the oil) cover and allow it to rest for about an hour and a half.
3) Once the dough has risen (wonít be doubled in size but will be pretty risen by then) flip it over onto a very lightly floured surface, deflate it gently and then divide the dough into 16 equal pieces.
4) Form each piece into a ball by rolling it between the palm of your hand and your work surface, then dip your two pointer fingers in some flour, using one finger poke a hole (go all the way through) in the center of each ball and using both pointer fingers, poke them through the center hole and rotate your fingers to about a 2Ē hole (check out video for more clear instructions on this).
5) Place the bagels on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, cover with a damp, lint free towel and allow to rest for about 20 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and place one of your oven racks on the top 2/3 of the oven. In a large, wide pot (I used my dutch oven for this) add your water and honey and bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat to simmer, add 4 bagels at a time and cook them for 1 minute on each side and then transfer them onto the same baking sheet (make sure you flip them back to top-side-up) repeat with all the bagels.
7) Brush the tops and sides of each one with the beaten egg white wash and bake them for about 20 minutes or until deeply golden brown all around (rotate your pan halfway through).
8) Allow them to cool for a few minutes on your baking sheet before moving them to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
9) Once cooled, cut them in half, then smear a little sauce on the cut surface of each one and sprinkle them with some of the chopped mozzarella and pepperoni, pop them back in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and itís slightly golden brown on top.
NOTES: Store them in a tightly sealed bag in the freezer (make sure they are all in one layer so they donít stick) and to reheat them, bake them from frozen in a 375 degree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Also, this recipe can easily make 32 bagels (64 bagel bites) if you want them smaller
Report a problem