Cook time1 hours 30 minutes
- 1-1/2 lb of Crusty Bread such as sourdough, torn into bite size pieces and dried at room temperature overnight
- 1 lb of Italian Sausage, casing removed
- 2 Leeks, trimmed, finely chopped and very well cleaned
- 4 Stalks of Celery, finely diced
- 4 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- About 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Sprig of Rosemary, very finely chopped
- Few Sprigs of Thyme, chopped
- 1 cup of Dry White Wine or a Light Lager
- 2 cups of Chicken Stock
- 2 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp of Finely Chopped Parsley
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2) in a large skillet add about 1 Tbsp of olive oil, preheat between medium and medium high, add the sausage, crumble it as much as you can with a wooden spoon and continue cooking until fully cooked thorough.
3) Remove the sausage to a shallow bowl, add the butter, remaining oil and leeks and celery along with a pinch of salt and cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat, add the rosemary and thyme towards the last few minutes of cooking.
4) Add the sausage back in along with any drippings collected on the plate, followed by the wine and allow it to reduce for a couple minutes, add the parsley and remove from the heat.
5) In a really large bowl, add the bread, cooked sausage mixture, whisked eggs and chicken stock (add the stock a little at a time as you stir all together, you want it to be moist but now swimming in broth so you might not need to add all of it).
6) Add it all to a greased baking dish, top with some dots of butter all over, cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
Report a problem