Cook time1 hours 0 minutes
For the filling:
- 6-1/2 cups of Pitted Sweet Cherries (about 2-1/2lb)
- 1/3 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup of Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp of Almond Extract
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 2 Pieces of Pie Crust, homemade or store bought
- Egg Wash, one egg beaten with a splash of milk or water
- 2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
1) In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the filling, make sure the cornstarch is evenly distributed among the cherries, set aside.
2) Roll out a piece of pie crust, lay it in a greased 9 inch pie plate, fill with the filling and set aside.
3) Roll out the second piece of crust, cut out 1/2 inch thick strips out of it and create a lattice pattern on top of the cherries (watch video for clear instructions) pinching the ends together and crimping according to your liking.
4) Brush the egg wash on top of the crust, sprinkle with the sugar, then pop the pie in the freezer for 10 minutes while you preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
5) Once the oven is ready, bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until golden brown, allow to cool for a few hours before serving.
Report a problem