Cook time50 minutes
- 1 3 lb Chicken, thatís been trimmed and cut into two large halves
- Juice and Zest of 2 Lemons
- ľ cup of Olive Oil
- A Couple Cprigs of Rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 5 Cloves of Garlic, finely minced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1) In a small measuring cup, whisk together the oil, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, salt and pepper. Place the chicken halves in large zip lock bags and pour the marinade over. Seal and place it in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours.
2) Remove the chicken from the fridge 20 minutes before cooking.
3) Place a large cast iron skillet on the stove top over medium high heat. Let that get nice and hot and smoky.
4) Take the chicken out of the marinade, pat the skin side dry.
5) Add about 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil to the hot pan, place the chicken halves in the hot skillet, skin side down.
6) Place a heavy brick (thatís been wrapped with a few layers of aluminum foil) over each half to weigh it down.
7) Turn the heat down just a bit so that it's between medium and medium high heat.
8) Cook the chicken for 25 minutes.
9) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
10) Once the chicken has had it's 25 minutes, remove the bricks, turn the halves over (so they are skin side up now) and pop them in the oven to continue to cook all the way through.
11) This should take about 20 to 25 minutes. Keep a thermometer handy so you can check to see if it's done, pierce it in the fattest part of the thigh, it should read 165 degrees.
12) Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Report a problem