Cook time1 hours 0 minutes
- 3-14.5oz cans of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Large or 2 Smaller Sweet Potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, minced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp of Ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tsp of Garam Masala
- 2 tsp of Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp of Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp of Cumin seeds (or 2 tsp of ground cumin)
- 1 Tbsp of Coriander seeds (or 2 tsp of dry coriander)
- 2 cups of Coconut Milk (1 14.5oz can will do perfectly)
- 6 cups of Water of Veggie Broth
- 4 cups of Greens of Choice, I like Tuscan Kale or Chard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Cilantro and Fresh Lime Juice to serve
1) In a large dutch oven, add the oil along with the onion, add a tiny pinch of salt and saute until translucent, meanwhile, in a mortar and pestle, grind the whole spices until they are slightly pulverized but still mainly whole.
2) Add the ginger and garlic, sautee for a couple minutes, then add the partially crushed spices, cook for a minute, add the remaining spices, stir them in a minute as well then add the chickpeas and sweet potatoes and allow them to cook with the spices for 2 minutes stirring them the whole time so the spices don't burn.
3) Add the coconut milk and water along with a good pinch of salt, bring to a boil, partially cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 45 minutes.
4) Once the sweet potatoes are super tender, take a potato masher and lightly mash the chickpeas and potatoes a bit to thicken the stew, then increase the heat to medium high, add the greens, cook for just a few minutes then serve over rice with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime!
Report a problem