Cook time30 minutes
For the sauce:
- 6 Plum Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Dried Oregano
- 1/2 stick of Cinnamon
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of WaterFor the Peppers:
- 4 Large Poblano Peppers
- 8oz of Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 1 cup of All Purpose Flour
- Frying Oil
1) Blend the tomatoes until smooth in either a blender or a bowl using an immersion blender,set aside.
2) In a saucepan, add the oil, onion and garlic, add a pinch of salt and saute until the onion softens and becomes translucent, add the pureed tomatoes, water, oregano and another small pinch of salt, bring to a boil, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes. When you turn the sauce off, add the cinnamon stick and just set the sauce aside until you’re ready for it.
3) Roast your peppers either on your gas burner or under a broiler until charred on all sides, place them in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set them aside for about 20 minutes.
4) Peel your peppers (watch the video for clear instructions on how I like to do it) then use a sharp knife to make a slit down the center of each one making sure you only go about 3/4 of the way down, scrape out all the seeds then stuff the pepper with some of the cheese and use a few toothpicks to seal them up. Repeat with the remaining peppers.
5) Fill a large skillet with high sides half way up with some frying oil and preheat it over medium high heat (a tad lower than medium high but not quite medium heat).
Report a problem